What Anime Series Did Your State Google The Most?
Last Updated on January 14, 2022 by Zoi Walker
Monkey D. Luffy. Roronoa Zoro. Sanji. If any of these names ring a bell, you probably live in one of the 25 states that searched for the anime ONE PIECE the most. Or maybe you fall within the 44% of 18–29 years olds that have a favorable opinion of anime movies. Either way, anime continues to gain popularity consistently, with many Americans growing up watching household favorites such as Dragon Ball Z, Pokémon, or Naruto.
There are multiple ways to watch the latest anime, from streaming services like Netflix and Crunchyroll, to late-night television on Cartoon Network. The people at CenturyLinkQuote specifically wondered which states searched which anime series the most. And while (SPOILER ALERT) ONE PIECE had the most search volume across the country by a mile, there were other anime series that had the rest of the country searching for more.
- Although the ONE PIECE series came out back in 1999, it still managed to be on the minds of half the country from 2020–2021, with half the country’s states searching for it the most. Maybe it was because Netflix started streaming the anime favorite on its streaming service in June of 2020. With a live-action version of the anime in development by Netflix, states will be searching for this series for years to come.
- One of the more popular anime series in America today, Pokémon topped the search results in eight states. Give credit where credit is due—Pokémon made anime more popular worldwide, particularly in the U.S., where the two highest-grossing anime movies are Pokémon films.
- Naruto tops the search results in six states. The series was listed as the 38th best-animated show in IGN’s Top 100 Animated series. In 2020, Naruto was also the third most watched show in the United States. Who doesn’t love a coming-of-age story of a pre-teen ninja trying to become the Hokage of his village?
- There’s an endearing quirk to My Hero Academia. Following the recent release of the film My Hero Academia: World Heroes’ Mission in late October 2021, the anime series was most searched in five states. Good news for fans of the series—My Hero Academia’s sixth season will premiere in 2022.
- Even with the best IMDB score from all of the anime series on this list, Attack on Titan only managed to be on one state’s mind the most: Utah. Other notable anime series that only had one state to make the list included Jujutsu Kaisen (Hawaii) and Sailor Moon (California).
We compiled a list of the 100 most popular anime (both classic and recently released series) based on data gathered from Polygon, CBR, My Anime List, Screen Rant, and Looper. We found each show’s search volume in SemRush and plugged the eight most most-searched shows into Google Trends to see which show was googled most by each state in the past 12 months.
CenturyLinkQuote is an authorized sales agent of Centurylink products. For media inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
|State||Most Searched Anime|
|Alaska||My Hero Academia|
|Arizona||My Hero Academia|
|Arkansas||My Hero Academia|
|Iowa||My Hero Academia|
|New Hampshire||One Piece|
|New Jersey||One Piece|
|New York||One Piece|
|North Carolina||Death Note|
|Oklahoma||My Hero Academia|
|Rhode Island||One Piece|
|South Carolina||One Piece|
|Utah||Attack on Titan|
|West Virginia||One Piece|